Those of you who have been following us on facebook may have noticed a teasing message relating to something ‘BIG’ being announced next week. However, at Identity HQ we just can’t contain our excitement any more…
We are pleased to announce that we have been successful in securing the Sugar Sheds as the official venue for Identity: The Drama, which will take place on Thursday June 28.
Tickets will be available as of next week and can be obtained from 7 1/2 John Wood Street. For more information contact our office on 01475 806 760, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
With Identity: The Drama premiering at the Sugar Sheds on June 28, we feel it would be nice to have a quick look back at the buildings, and the sugar industry in Greenock.
The roots of the sugar industry in Inverclyde date back to 1765 when a German businessman by the name of Mark Khull erected the towns first sugar house, located in what was known as Sugarhouse Lane. This business venture was to prove successful as Khull eventually opened a second house not far from his premier building. The success of Khulls ventures can be seen when examining the 1791-99 Statistical Accounts for Scotland with the town importing 81,074 cwts of unprocessed sugar.
It wasn’t long before the success was noticed and other businessmen caught on to the idea and by 1845 there were around eleven sugar refineries in the town, providing employment for over three hundred and fifty people with a yearly output of 14,000 tons of raw sugar. It is believed those who worked in the refineries worked a ten hour day with men receiving a weekly wage of 16s, and boys 5s.
The Sugar Sheds as we see them today were originally owned by Messers James Farrie & Co, however they were not Farries original premises in the town. In fact, the original location of the refinery was just across the street from where the buildings now stand. This building, located at Crawfordsdyke (present day Cartsdyke) bridge (as seen in above picture), was build in 1809 and operated for a number of years before it was greatly expanded to the large warehouses that we see today.
So join us on June 28 at the Sugar Sheds for a viewing of the drama in one of the towns oldest, and most revered buildings.